viernes, 15 de octubre de 2010

Santiago's new school

Santiago's first day of school was a little stressful for him.  He cried when I dropped him off and I could totally relate to his feelings.  Being in a different country, speaking a different language to the one he is used to, at least at school, and with different people he has never met!!
But he was so brave, he sat down for the inauguration ceremony, kept looking at me and then waved good bye eventually.  I was so proud of him!

I also cried, I love this little one soo much and to see him like that just brakes my heart!!  We had had a wonderful year together, but I knew in my heart that he was in need of more friends, of having more adults in his life who care deeply about him and also, being now in Mexico, I wanted him to be fully immersed in the language and what better way that in this lovely Waldorf school!!

The school is pretty small...more like a big house that was converted into a small school.  It reminds me soo much of my own school growing up, with all the warmth of the mexican people who received us all with a big hug, a kiss and an open heart.

By the time school was out and I went to pick him up, he had a huge smile on his face and said:  "I love my school".  I'm so greatful and as the days go on, the same enthusiasm lives in him, he wakes up in the morning and is so happy that it's indeed a school day!
He has learned to communicate in perfect mexican spanish, with and accent and everything.  He is learning how to do math in Spanish, and now is singing lovely songs and has learned all kinds of jokes from his friends at school.

His class did their first play just a few weeks after school had started and he memorized his lines and did such a wonderful job.  He was the wolf and howled at the end and spoke with confidence to Father Francis, with a hoarse wolf-like voice!
The other children were amazing too...there were villagers, friends of St Francis and they were all so immersed in their roles, it was a joy to watch!

                                              
                                                        Santiago in his school uniform

1 comentario:

  1. So glad to hear that Santiago has settled into his new school so beautifully! I'm sure that's a big load off your mind.

    ResponderEliminar