martes, 29 de marzo de 2011

Storytelling at Daniel's school

I started helping out in Daniel's school since the beginning of the year and it has been an amazing experience!!
I've been telling them stories after lunch time and I think I have been the one who has benefited the most from this interaction. (Just kidding...I know it is soul food for them and for me!!)

The children have a huge smile in their faces when they see me coming and my heart sings with joy.
I tell them the same story for three weeks and they fully live into the story...it's amazing how entranced they are and how quickly they memorize the story.

The first week I tell the story without any props, just a candle, a calming song to help them get their bodies at rest and to spark their imaginations.

What amazes me the most is their little faces and expresions as the story progresses, and they don't get bored of hearing the same story over and over again.
I have to admit, at the beginning it wasn't like that, especially the big ones, the ones who are almost ready to go into first grade next year. But it was only the first time around.

The second week I bring puppets and do a puppet show for them. They love it and as I uncover the veils with the scenes, I hear a lot of ohhh and ahhh.
But believe it or not, I think even though they like the puppets and love the scenes, I feel they live deeper into the story when is just us and the candle. Their little minds are working hard creating the pictures in their mind and in a very unique and special way for every child.


These are the puppets I used for the story of "The frog Prince" which we all absolutely loved!!




The third week, we act out the story. Using very simple props...sometimes just a silk or a piece of cloth as a cape or a crown. The children absolutely love this week and they all participate even if they are not one of the main characters of the story...just being a tree from the forest, a gate, the well, etc...the fact that they are in the play, playing a role is enough for them to feel like they are a very important part of the story! Children amaze me!!


I also help the teachers with keeping the room tidy and decorating the nature table in alignment with what is going outside in nature in our region. I make sure there are fresh flowers from the beautiful grounds and these is what our spring nature table looks like right now:

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario